The IEEE (Eye-triple-E) is a non-profit, technical professional association of more than 365,000 individual members in approximately 150 countries. The full name is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., although the organization is most popularly known and referred to by the letters I-E-E-E. The IEEE and it's predecessors, the AIEE (American Institute of Electrical Engineers) and the IRE (Institute of Radio Engineers) date to 1884, with Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, Elihu Thomson and Edwin Houston. Through its members, the IEEE continues to be a leading authority in technical areas ranging from computer engineering, biomedical technology and telecommunications, to electric power, aerospace engineering and consumer electronics, among others.
Through its technical publishing, conferences and consensus-based standards activities, the IEEE produces 30 percent of the world's published literature in electrical and electronics engineering, and computer science areas; holds annually more than 300 major conferences and has nearly 900 active standards with almost 500 under development.
IEEE @ Northeastern
As a student branch of the IEEE (Region 1), IEEE at Northeastern University is the third largest student branch in the Boston Area. With an active membership of over 90 students and several IEEE technical societies, IEEE at Northeastern University strives to "promote the engineering process of creating, developing, integrating, sharing, and applying knowledge about electro and information technologies and sciences for the benefit of humanity and the profession". We at IEEE at Northeastern Univeristy believe this can be accomplished by enabling students with access to both the latest technological tools, as well as access to industry leaders who have been and/or are the vanguard of their engineering fields.
Fall 2018 Officers
- President - Elizabeth Wig
- Vice President - Esther Inoyo
- Secretary - Toyin Yusuf
- Treasurer - Jeff Zhou
- Public Relations - Marissa D'Alonzo
- Public Relations - Allyson Vakhovskaya
- Public Relations - Michael Kennet
- Webmaster - Zachary Marcus
- Workshop Coordinator - Andrew Fish
- Workshop Coordinator - Juliette MacPhail
- Workshop Coordinator - Justin Adams
- Community Outreach - Geralyn Moore
- ECE Career Summit Chair - Yiwen Ma
- ECE Career Summit Committee - Nikhil Bhat
- ECE Career Summit Committee - Carter McCardwell
- Micromouse - Kenneth Afriyie